"The most important covenant we prepare for is being sealed in the temple"


Thursday, July 11, 2013

"Open When" Package

I recently made an Open When package to send to my missionary, It was super fun to make and took up a bunch of my time! It was super easy to do and brought back a lot of memories. A lot of the time when people make "Open When" packages they put letters or words of encouragement. I love to write, but I also love taking pictures, so my "Open When" envelopes all include pictures.

The thing about pictures is that they are "worth more then a thousand words." I have always believed in that quote. Pictures capture moments and bring back memories and emotions that you can't always feel through words.

How to Make This "Open When" Package 

Here are the things you will need...



  • A Sharpie (Or any writing utensil) 
  • A 6" by 9" Envelope, bubbled or not bubbled (Mines Bubbled) 
  • Pictures of all kinds 
  • CD Protector Envelopes 
  • and Paper (Any kind you want. You can either do the same pattern or a bunch of different patters.) 


The Price of this project varies. You can either do it for super cheap or expensive.
The only thing that cost me money were the pictures because I had everything else
and I even already had a lot of the pictures I wanted to use. 
You can buy the 6" by 9" envelopes either in a pack or individually. 

This project is SUPER EASY anyone can do it. To put the patterned background in the CD cover.. all you do is cut the piece of paper into a square (big enough to cover the clear plastic ), put it on the inside and WALLAH! 

Easy enough right??

The picture below is what it looks like when it is all done. 



The hard part of the "Open When" package is coming up with the different times for when they should open them up. Here are the 15 that I came up with and used...

 "Open When..."

  • You need a good laugh
  • You need to feel my love
  • You are feeling appreciative of music
  • It's May 8th (The day he left for the MTC)
  • You are thinking about "Them" (Them meaning... someone special such as; grandparents, family, loved ones who has passed, etc..) 
  • You are feeling Blessed 
  • It's January 28th (Just a day when something really funny happened and we always brought it up in conversation.) 
  • It had been nothing but a HOT day.. Temp Wise 
  • You're feeling impatient
  • You've had a rough day
  • It's General Conference
  • It's April 21st (The day he gave his farewell talk)
  • You want to know what I do 
  • It's Feb 11th (Someone else's farewell talk) 
  • You are having a lot of success 


If you have questions about the types of pictures I included into my different "Open Whens" feel free to email me or comment on this post. 

Here is an example of what I included in the "Open When... It has been nothing but a HOT day...temp wise."

I included a picture of us holding Ice Cream on my birthday, a picture of ice cream, $5, and a Coupon. The reason why i included the coupon is because we have an inside joke that has to do with coupons.
On the back of the picture of just the Ice cream I wrote, "Go buy some Ice Cream!:) P.S. Tell me what kind!" 


Because this project fits in a 6" by 9"envelope, the shipping on the package is super cheap. 




If you decide to do this as one of your projects I would love to hear about it and the different "Open Whens" You ended up using and the ones you created on your own.

ENJOY!! :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment