"The most important covenant we prepare for is being sealed in the temple"


Sunday, July 21, 2013

The WHY of Scripture Study



"If you develop the habit of DAILY scripture reading while you are still young, you will reap lifelong blessings of increased wisdom, understanding, spirituality, compassion, and the blessings of a fulfilled life." -Elder Jack H. Goaslind


As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we are commanded and encouraged to consistently study the scriptures; that includes: The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price and Modern Day Scriptures (general conference talks). But still we find youth questioning, "Why should I study the scriptures? How do they benefit me?" 

If you have been one to ask the big
"WHY?"
please, read on!

The obvious answer to why we should study the scriptures is simply because we are commanded too. Hard concept to grasp? Well why are we commanded to study the scriptures in the first place? 

As we study the scriptures, "benefits and blessings of many kinds come to us," as promised by President Howard W. Hunter.  

A lot of times when I am struggling with something or feeling sad I always open up my scriptures and read the words which are written in them. As I not only read the words but STUDY the words my mind is often filled with comfort and I feel my Savior wrap his arms around me. Elder Dallin H. Oaks once said "We often hear... that the scriptures have answers to all of our questions. WHY is this so?...Reading...the scriptures will... put us in positions where we can obtain inspiration to answer any doctrinal or personal question, whether or not that question directly concerns the subject we are studying in the scriptures. That is a grand truth not understood by many...Again. even though the scriptures contain no words to answer our specific personal questions, a prayerful study of the scriptures will help us obtain such answers." There have been many times when I have been praying for an answer and in my scripture study I come across a word a phrase that answers my question, or makes me feel a certain way about the things I was praying for. 


The following is a list of Blessings and Promises given to us by our Prophets that we can receive from studying the scriptures...

  • Increased Success in your daily activities
  • Increased alertness to your mind
  • Will give you comfort and rock-steady assurance when the storms of life descend upon you 
  • Obtain inspiration to answer doctrinal or personal questions
  • Greater Power to resist temptation
  • Power to avoid deception
  • Power to stay on the straight and narrow path
  • Studying the scriptures gives you a dimension to your life that nobody else gets and that can't be gained in any other way EXCEPT by studying the scriptures
  • Increase in faith and desire to do what's right 
  • Your mind will be enlightened and your spirit will be lifted
  • Testimonies will increase 
  • Personal revelation will flow
  • Your power to avoid temptation and to receive direction of the Holy Ghost in all you do will be increased
  • Restore confidence in one's ability to overcome the challenges of life
  • Accelerate physical healing
  • Increased Wisdom
  • Increased Understanding 
  • Increased Spirituality
  • Increased Compassion
  • Scriptures can become a form of foundation of support
  • They can become stalwart friends
  • Awaken the Holy Ghost
  • Enlarge our memory
  • Calm an agitated soul
  • Brings Peace
  • Studying the scriptures can show and remind  you of who you are
  •  Show you why you are here on earth
  • Show you what you should be doing with your life



If those aren't reasons to convince you of WHY you should study the scriptures, then I don't know what is!! 

I Love the scriptures. I have seen a lot of those blessings and promises in my life as I have established a daily habit of scripture study. I know those things that the Prophets have promised us are true. I KNOW that as you form a daily habit of scripture study that you will see a difference in your life and that you will feel the companionship of the Holy Ghost as you do so. 
If you have not already developed the habit of daily scripture study, start now and keep studying. 
Howard W. Hunter confirms "It is certain that one who studies the scriptures EVERY DAY accomplishes far more than one who devotes considerable time one day and then lets days go by before continuing. Not only should we study teach day, but there should be a regular time set aside when we can concentrate without interference." 


I hope that as you read this you learned something and that you will consider your scripture study and do something this week to make your scripture study more meaningful so that you may receive the promised blessings given to us by our prophets.

My Handsome Missionary.
What a great example he is to me of someone who
really immerses himself into the scriptures.
I learn something new from him all the time.



"Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high. They can become the key to open the channel to communion with our Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ."
-
Elder Richard G.Scott




No comments:

Post a Comment