"The most important covenant we prepare for is being sealed in the temple"


Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Have I done any good in the world today?

I'm feeling very blessed today. I can't quite pin point the reason why but I think it has something to do with the people who are in my life. I had a really sweet experience today that I wanna share with you, the blogging world. So a few days ago I got a message on Facebook from an acquaintance of mine telling me that she was sick and then said a few other things. I had the impression to send her a get well soon card along with a few encouraging words and I asked her for her address. I immediately acted upon the impression and sent her the card. Today, she messaged me on Facebook again telling me that she had received the card and thanked me for my kindness and told me that the card was exactly what she needed to get her through the rest of the day. Her gratitude was so sincere, it amazed me. She told me that receiving the letter in the mail made her day. How incredible it is that such a simple act of service can make such a huge impact on someone's day? Following impressions is important. She said that I made her day but, little did she know, that she actually made mine. She simply says to me "You just made me think of the song 'Have I done in any good in the world today?' then it says 'Have I helped anyone in need, have I cheered up the sad, made someone feel glad? If not I have failed in deed...' Well Savanna, you sure aren't a failure, you are amazing! Thanks for everything!"  Those simple words from her made me realize how important friendships are. It doesn't matter the type of friendship you have, you should always strive to make those around you feel good about themselves, and that is exactly what she did. She made me feel so good about myself.  Friendships are important. Even if you haven't met them face to face. Always treat those you know and those you are associated, with love and respect.

The song "Have I done any good in the world today?" speaks volumes. What a great principle that song teaches. It is so important to do good in the world. The good we do can be as simple as giving a stranger a smile, or sending a note to a friend, or letting someone know that you love them and are thinking of them. The simple acts of service that can be done everyday are the ones that mean the most. 

"Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? have I cheered up the sad? made someone feel glad? If not I have failed in deed." 

No comments:

Post a Comment